Friday, August 28, 2009

For The Love of Apples

My post the other day was about apple picking and not having any success. Well I wanted more apples because I had made this yummy apple crisp and wanted so bad to make some more. I still haven't gotten any apples so this post about the apple crisp is the next best thing. I have two different recipes for apple crisp that I like to use. One is from the New Good Housekeeping Cookbook and one from my mom in my own recipe book. I used the recipe from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. I will post both recipes and let's see which one you prefer.

The New Good Housekeeping

6 medium apples
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup old fashioned or quick cooking oats
6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick softened)

Peel, core, and slice apples. Place apples in a glass baking dish.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium size bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, oats, and butter. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over apple slices. Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm or refrigerate to serve cold later.


Apple Crisp
My Mom's

6 apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 butter

Butter an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish or a 6 cup casserole dish. Peel, core and slice apples. Combine sugar, cinnamon and mix with apples. Turn into prepared baking dish.
For the topping, combine together sugar, flour, salt and butter. Mix together and top apples with crumbly mixture. Bake at 375 degrees or until apples are tender and topping is nicely browned.

I served our apple crisp with lowfat vanilla ice cream. Very delicious indeed!

1 comment:

Linda said...

I think apple crisp is ranked right up there as one of my favorite desserts!