Saturday, February 7, 2009

Cake for Mandy




My friend Mandy asked me sometime ago to make her a cake, and not just any kind of cake either. She wanted a red velvet cake with homemade frosting. I had told Mandy that at the beginning of the new year I would make the cake for her. Well now that we are already into the month of February I thought I better make do on my promise and make the cake for her. I talked to Mandy last night so she all ready knows that I will be bringing the cake to work for her.
I am sure Mandy will share some of the cake with the rest of us.

Red Velvet Cake

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 bottle (1 oz.) red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed, 5 to 7 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed just until blended. Do not overbeat. Pour batter into greased and floured round or square cake pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven, 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minute, remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost cake layers with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

1 package (8oz.) cream cheese
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick butter)
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package(16 oz.) confectioners' sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream in large bowl until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioner sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.







2 comments:

Linda said...

I made red velvet cupcakes not too long ago...for my grandsons! They were amazed at eating red cake!
This looks unbelievable.

Shelby said...

Nice job on the cake Amanda!