Monday, November 24, 2008

Is It A Cookie or A Biscuit?

It's been a few days since I have added a new post here. I had a very busy weekend. I spent the day Saturday with my friend Shelby. On Sunday I went to a birthday party for my nephew who turned two. I was hoping to have some pictures to put up of the party but I forgot my camera at home. From now whenever I leave the house I am going to remember to put my camera in my purse before heading out the door.

I was going to make sugar cookies last week but as most of you will remember from an earlier post Randy wanted a cookie that had some flavor so I made a different cookie instead. Well this morning I decided to make the sugar cookies. I was going to use the turkey cookie cutter but I decided not too and instead just dropped the dough in spoonfuls and what I ended up with was cookies that resemble the drop biscuits that I like to make. After they were done cooling I had to try one and I was very impressed. You think you are biting into a biscuit but you get the surprise when you realize that it is a sugar cookie instead.

The recipe that I used is from my own recipe book and it is one that my mom has used over the years. I will be making Christmas cookies this year and will be using this recipe again but I will be using the cookie cutters.


Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup butter softened (1 1/2 sticks)

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/4 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl cream sugar, butter. Beat in egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift together flour and baking powder, stir into creamed ingredients. Instead of rolling out the dough I dropped the dough on a ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. I went alittle longer than the 12 minutes so I know the cookies would be cooked through.





No comments: