Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Blueberry Muffins


I got the inspiration to make blueberry muffins after reading the post from my friend Shelby of The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. I was going make them for breakfast on the weekend but things didn't quite go as planned. I ended up making the muffins late Sunday evening. I was going to use fresh blueberries which I did have but I opted to use something else
instead. I am sure some of you will be able to guess but you will have to wait until you scroll down to read the ingredients. The muffins turned out very moist and flavorful too.
Blueberry Muffins
The New Good Housekeeping Cookbook (page 481)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter or margarine (3/4 stick) I prefer to use butter in all my recipes
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (something I did not have)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used blueberry fruit spread)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a six cup muffin pan. I wanted more than six muffins so I used a twelve cup pan. I also used cupcake papers, this is something I always do when I make muffins.
2. In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In small bowl, beat egg, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until blended. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold blueberries into batter.
3. Spoon batter into muffin pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove muffins from pan. Serve warm or let cool on wire rack.
If frozen blueberries are used, do not thaw before adding them to the batter.


No comments: