Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cornbread Topped Chicken Pot Pie


I had Friday off from work and I was thinking about what to make for dinner. I knew that we had some chicken in the freezer and vegetables in the pantry, along with quite a bit of other things. I looked at a few recipes on the Betty Crocker website and that is when I saw this recipe. I had a box of cornbread mix in the pantry and had been wanting to make that up and now I had just the recipe to use that in. I made a few changes to the recipe to accomadate what I had for vegetables to use. I was alittle hesitant at first when I was making this because Randy doesn't really like pot pies. I was hoping that it being homemade would change his mind. Well it was a success and I am thinking of making it again and the next time I should put some venison in it. Then I would really know that it would be a hit with Randy. I myself was very impressed with the flavor the cornbread as the topping. You should give it a try, I know you will like it as much as I did.


Cornbread Topped Chicken Pot Pie

3 medium size pieces of chicken (cut into bit size pieces)
1 large onion (chopped) 1 cup
1 12 ounce jar chicken gravy
1 can peas
1 can corn
1 pouch cornbread mix
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter melted
1 egg

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 1/2 quart round baking dish with cooking spray. In a nonstick skillet, cook chicken and onion over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes. Stirring occasionally, until chicken is brown.

Stir in gravy. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 5 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from heat, add vegetables. Make sure to have all ready drained the vegetables in a colander. Stir and keep warm.

In a medium bowl mix the cornbread mix, milk and egg until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Spoon chicken mixture into the baking dish. Drop batter by spoonfuls around edges of warm chicken mixture.

Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!




No comments: