Friday, January 16, 2009

Vanilla Pudding Pie

When you get an idea for something to make or something new to try, just go for it!

I joined the Biggest Loser weight loss program at work and I haven't made anything sweet in awhile. I know Randy was enjoying all the treats I had been making and I wanted to make a special dessert for him. While looking on allrecipes.com I saw a recipe for vanilla pudding. This may come as a surprise to some but I have never made pudding before, I always just used the instant kind in a box. Glad I made the decision to make my own pudding, nothing compares to something being from scratch and with love put into it as well. No more instant pudding for me. I will be making my own from now on.

Homemade Vanilla Pudding
allrecipes.com

2 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until bubbles form at edges. In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into hot milk, a little at a time. Stirring to dissolve. Continue cooking until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Do not boil. I turned the heat down to low so this wouldn't happen. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and butter. After these ingredients are mixed in well, place in refrigerator to chill before serving.

Instead of just making Randy a dish of pudding, he got a whole pie instead. Here is the recipe for the crust that I used.

Unbaked Graham Cracker Crumb Crust
The New Goodhousekeeping Cookbook

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (I placed eight crackers in a ziploc bagged and crushed them)
4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick) melted
3 tablespoons sugar

In a pie plate or bowl mix the crumbs with remaining ingredients. Press mixture onto the bottom and up the side of the pie plate. Chill pie crust well.

After the pudding and the pie crust have chilled for some time, you can now assemble the pie. Spoon the pudding into the pie plate and spread around with a spatula. I placed some maraschino cherries on for garnish and placed back in the refrigerator to set some more.


1 comment:

Shelby said...

Looks great Amanda!