Saturday, June 20, 2009

Nothing Beats Homemade

As many of you can see it has been sometime since I have posted. I have had so much going on since last Friday with the Relay for Life event, getting together with family, meetings and inservice trainings for work and just with work itself plus trying to get things done around the house. So far the week ahead looks rather calm which I am hoping stays that way because there are a few recipes that I have found and really want to make. Now on to this post, when I went grocery shopping on Thursday, I picked a quart of strawberries with the intent of making some kind of dessert. Well I wanted to have some strawberries and biscuits but Randy does not like biscuits at all and said he likes to have strawberries with angel food cake. I knew in my Good Housekeeping Cookbook I had a recipe for angel food cake and I knew I would also have plenty of egg whites since one of Randy's coworkers has been giving us eggs from her chickens. That was a definite help because I would not have had enough eggs. I was alittle hesistant at first about making the cake but it wasn't so bad and when the cake was all done and cooling I was rather proud of myself and am looking forward to the next time to make another one.


Angel-Food Cake
The New Good Housekeeping Cookbook

1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup flour
1 2/3 cups egg whites (12 to 14 egg whites), at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract ( I used strawberry extract instead)
1 1/4 cups sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In small bowl, stir confectioners' sugar and flour; set aside. In a large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until soft peaks form; beat in extracts. Beating at high speed sprinkle in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar is completely dissolved and whites stand in stiff peaks. Fold in flour mixture just until flour disappears.

Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle; cool completely in pan. With metal spatula or I used a butter knife to carefully loosen cake from the pan; place on cake plate.


Some strawberries and a dollop of cool whip make this dessert complete.

No comments: